That’s definitely the most difficult question to be answered.
As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I acknowledged that “things” are causing more misery than happiness in my life. I started to look for a solution to end my misery. Researching on time management and home organization tips hoping that they will give me some insight. However, from what I gathered from all these information is that if you keep de-cluttering and organizing your things and your home, they will somehow get back to you in another way. Clutters would come back to haunt you after being reorganized, and things are just being moved from one spot to another. I might end up having to get more containers or organizers to help de-cluttering my home. THAT essentially is adding more “stuff” to my pile.
I DON’T want that. There’s got to be a better way to solve this.
I figured that in order to have peace in my home, I need to get rid of the things. Not by moving them around in the house, but by getting them out of my house and my sight.
When I learned that minimalism should most probably be the answer to my prayer, I had to decide on the approach that needed to be taken in order to work towards my minimalism life. Should I start with my closet? The kitchen? Toys? The nursery?
It was really overwhelming to find a place to begin with but I know that the longer I waited, the more I felt nauseous over the increasing clutters at home.
I finally started. I chose a spot where I felt the least comfortable with, and I started.
As I was sliding my closet door open, I could already feel the overflowing items in my closet bulging out and got stuck in between the two sliding closet doors. That was not a good sign. I felt sick but I know this was where I had to begin.
Fashion has always been my thing. I love shopping for beautiful clothes and dressing up with cool accessories. I feel that having a well pull-together outfit is a way to show respect for myself and also others. I could easily buy clothes that fit me, as I have quite a tall body build and I essentially could fit into most standard sizing outfit and look good. The downfall of it is that I get tempted to buy all sort of outfit without even thinking properly. All I had in mind when I purchased them was, “They look good and I fit them. Why not?” It got even worse during sale season. They were cheap and didn’t feel right for me to let go of such a deal. Eventually, my closet space became lesser and lesser. And got to a point that I could not even slide hangers to left and right due to the lack of gap in between.
People tend to say we only wear 20% of what’s in our closet 80% of the time. I could totally relate to it as I was sorting out my closet.
As I was pulling out items out of my closet, different thoughts and questions kept coming into my mind.
“Why on earth did I buy this?”
“Did I even buy this?”
“Ew. I look awful in this dress.”
“I think I have only wore this once or maybe twice…”
“Oh, I love this dress but it got a little hole that probably can’t be mended!”
This is it. These are the 80% of my closet that I don’t normally use in daily outfits.
Then, I decided once and for all, take all these 80% out of my wardrobe, and only keep the rest of the 20% in it. But where should I re-home these unwanted items from my wardrobes? Some people sell them through ebay, consignment stores, garage sales etc. Some would pass them to family and friends who might be willing to take the items. Some would donate them to charity. There are couple of choices that I could make to get rid of these clothings.
At last, I decided to donate them all. It’s really quite time-consuming to re-sell them. You got to take photos, post them online, or bring them to different stores, etc. As I was so desperate to get to minimalism, I chose the easiest route.
Bagging up unwanted clothes in bag after bag made me realize how much unnecessary purchases I have done over the past years. And I have created so much waste in our world. I felt really bad and upset at myself. I suddenly became so cautious about my spending on everything after witnessing how much things I have accumulated at home.
Even though getting rid of a large portion of my wardrobe had made me feel so terrible about my previous spendings, donating them to the people who need them really gave me an instant relief. To be honest, I was actually quite happy that I was able to help someone in that way.
Don’t get me wrong. Yes, I am working towards minimalism but it doesn’t mean that I don’t love fashion anymore. I learned to appreciate fashion by just looking at them. I learned that we don’t need to own in order to love something. Window shopping has become such enjoyment. I still enjoy shopping with my friends. Choosing beautiful fashion items for them, and occasionally I would buy things after very careful consideration – to differentiate if I need them or do I just want them.
Stay tuned for my next step towards minimalism!